Friday, November 13, 2009

The Mayo-Wars

A few weeks back I made a post about the ridiculous ads for Miracle Whip and Stephen Colbert’s awesome response to them. Well in an unexpected turn of events Miracle Whip responded to Colbert’s insults. They actually produced a spot specifically responding to Colbert. I am impressed.

Apparently Miracle Whip does have a sense of humor. They bought every TV spot during Colbert’s show to run the new ads. It was a genius move. Miracle Whip just went from lameness to greatness in my book. They took the seemingly bad publicity and turned it to their favor. Even making it part of their campaign. That’s impressive.

Instead of sending lawyers armed with cease and desist orders (I’m looking at you AT&T), Miracle Whip just made more ads, and changed their messaging slightly. They turned my initial rating of a FAIL to a SUCCEED. Good work Miracle Whip. Now, if you could just change your product to something half appetizing.

Here's the spot that ran during the Colbert Report.

1 comment:

  1. As an unbiased spectator (I'm not a mayo-lover, not fond of Miracle Whip either), I would say that the marketing team did a good job. They didn't just respond to Colbert, they provoked mayo-lovers all over the country. I mean, have you seen the comments online? It's hilarious. People are talking about it, and the mayo-lovers are pissed off. So Miracle Whip did get the attention boost it needed.

    - ella (http://www.randmediagroup.com/blog)

    ReplyDelete