Monday, October 19, 2009

Sometimes Being Cool Is Enough

A new week is upon us. The fruits of our creative labors from last week have been sown and reaped and the fields of creativity lay barren before us. This weekend I came across two older campaigns. They have been around a little while now but I still enjoy them. So here they are. Enjoy.

Toyota Prius:

These commercials have been around for a minute or two. But I still enjoy them a great deal. The concept for the campaign is really interesting in its simplicity: “The world is made of people.” And they shot the commercials as a literal interpretation of that. The Prius, in my opinion, is the ugliest car to come down the production line since the Pontiac Aztec, but these commercials are beautiful. I love the waterfall especially. The way they make the whitecaps out of somersaulting people is ingenious. The video is a making of version with the actual spot playing after.



Levi's Go Forth:

I wasn’t sure what to think of these spots when I first saw them. They were a little too out there for me at first. I couldn’t make the connection between Walt Whitman and jeans. The jury is still out on that issue. But putting all that aside, these commercials are a visual treat. They do a good job of emoting and causing an experience. They ride the edge of trying too hard to be “arty” but I still think they’re well made visual experiences. How affective they are as advertisements may be a separate issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment